- Regular Schedule
- Recruiter Visit: U.S. Navy
- Regular Schedule
- Community Outreach: Tuesday with Vincent
- Recruiter Visit: U.S. Marine Corps
- Jamaica Parent Meeting (Virtual) (6:00 pm)
- Regular Schedule
- Recruiter Visit: U.S. Army
- Regular Schedule
- Coffee with Christ (7:20 am in the Spiritual Life Office)
- College Visit: Northern Kentucky University
- "Project Rachel" Speaker - Juniors only (Flex)
- Community Outreach Project: Salvation Sandwiches (Room 22 after school)
- Alumni Association Meeting (6:30 pm at Wiedemann Brewery )
- Regular Schedule
- End of 3rd Quarter
- Senior/Parent Dance (8:00 - 11:00 pm in the Fogarty Center)
- The end of the 3rd quarter is on Friday, March 10th. Please contact teachers and/or guidance counselors with any questions or concerns. No surprises!
- The Senior/Parent Dance will be held on Saturday, March 11th from 8:00 – 11:00 pm in the Fogarty Center. The theme of the dance is “Back to the 80’s – Big Hair and Neon!” The cost of the tickets is as follows: Senior + 2 parents - $25; Senior + 1 Parent - $15. Tickets for the Senior/Parent Dance can be purchased as follows:
- Via Venmo (@RB-Alumni). Please label the payment “Senior Parent Dance.”
- At the door in cash
- Via check to the main office if properly marked for PTO Senior Dance.
- Raffle ticket sales have begun for the 2023 Evening for Excellence Grand Raffle! This year's winner will receive $10,000! Raffle tickets can be purchased online by clicking here. You do NOT have to be in attendance at the 2023 Evening for Excellence to claim your prize!
- Boys Volleyball alumni are welcome back to participate in our 2023 RBBVB Alumni Game! This takes place on Friday, March 10th at 6:00 pm at Roger Bacon High School! If you have any questions, please email Head Coach, Alex Brenner '16.
- We have several college/recruiter visits this week that take place during Flex in the east wing conference room. You can sign up for the visits on Naviance. See Ms. Smith in the Counseling Office with any questions!
- Application information for the Jamaica Mission Trip is available outside of the Spiritual Life Office. Applications are due Monday, March 13th. A virtual parent meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 7th at 6:00 pm
for those who could not attend the first parent meeting. Please contact Mr. Kupiec (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
- RB Drama Guild’s is proud to present our spring musical “WE WILL ROCK YOU.” “Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy?” Featuring songs by the rock band Queen, our musical is packed with a ton of favorite hits, funny moments, and an exciting story of a future with no music and a group of adventuresome Bohemians that discover who they really are through the power of “rock and roll.” Show times are 7:30 pm on Thursday, March 30th, Friday, March 31st, Saturday, April 1st and Sunday, April 2nd at 2:00 pm. Tickets are available now for preorder:
- Adults - $10
- Seniors/Non-Roger Bacon Students - $8
- RB Students and Children (12 and under) – FREE
All seating is assigned. To pre-order your tickets please visit www.rogerbaconfinearts.com to fill out the online request form.
- The City of Cincinnati has several summer job opportunities for students ages 14-24. The Mayor's Career Expo is being held on Saturday, March 11th from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm at the Duke Energy Convention Center. There are also opportunities for Fire Cadet, Police Cadet, Tennis NJTL Instructors, Lifeguards and more! For more information, see the Guidance website at https://www.rogerbacon.org/academics/guidance-counseling/employment-opportunities.
- Remember to set your clocks one hour ahead at 2:00 am on Sunday, March 12th for the beginning of Daylight Savings Time.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation will be offered at Roger Bacon on Tuesday, March 14th at an all-school prayer service.
- The next meeting of our Grief and Loss Group will be on Thursday, March 16th at 9:30 am.
- The J.O.Y. Retreat for juniors will be held on Thursday, March 16th and Friday, March 17th. Contact Ms. Geckle (email@example.com) for details.
- Roger Bacon is partnering with Hoxworth for their Spring Blood Drive. The drive will take place March 24th in the Fogarty Center. Please reach out to Ms. Knudson at firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions regarding eligibility. Donors must be at least 16 years old. To sign-up, please see Ms. Knudson in room 34.
- College Information Night (virtual) will be on Tuesday, March 28th for juniors and their parents. Stayed tuned for more information!
- Kenzie's Closet is nonprofit organization that provides prom dresses and accessories to high school students at no cost to those who are in current financial or personal need. Please see Ms. Smith in the Guidance Office for more information about receiving prom dress assistance.
Scholarships - School Year 2023/24
Several scholarships for the upcoming 2023/24 school year
have been uploaded to SpartanLink and are accessible when students log in to their SpartanLink accounts. There will be a banner at the top of their profile that says: You Have: #_ Forms to Review. Depending on the grade level, some students may have more or less forms (scholarships) to review and apply for. Below are the scholarships available:
- Roger Bacon Class of 1952 Scholarship – current Freshmen and Sophomores
- Roger Bacon Class of 1965 Scholarship – current Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors
- Roger Bacon & Our Lady of Angels Class of 1969 Scholarship – current Juniors
- Willard “Red” & Mary Stoll Family Endowed Scholarship – current Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors
- Vincent M. Kathman Alumni Scholarship – current Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors
- Spartan Achievement Award – current Juniors
- Paul & Naomi Thomas Scholarship – current Sophomores
- Donald A. Miller Endowed Scholarship – current Juniors
- Patrick Wolterman Memorial Scholarship – current Juniors
- OLA Education Fund Scholarship – current Freshmen and Sophomore girls
All scholarship applications are due on April 3, 2023.
Some scholarships require letters of recommendations – please read requirements carefully. Letters can be given to Brandon Spaeth in the Advancement Office, sent via email to email@example.com, or mailed to Roger Bacon High School, c/o Brandon Spaeth 4320 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45217. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Spaeth.
School Calendar - 2023/24 School Year
For planning purposes, several key dates for the 2023/24 school year are provided below.
August 10-11, 2023: Freshmen Orientation Days
August 16, 2023: First Day of Classes for All Students
September 4, 2023: No School - Labor Day
September 14, 2023: Meet the Teacher Night
September 15, 2023: No School - Professional Development
September 20, 2023: Freshmen Grandparents Day
September 20, 2023: Financial Aid Night
October 16, 2023: No School - Professional Development
October 20, 2023: Homecoming
October 21, 2023: Homecoming Dance
October 27, 2023: Dismissal at 12:00 - Pre-ACT/ Practice ACT Testing / Job Shadowing
October 29, 2023: OPEN HOUSE
October 30, 2023: No School
November 9, 2023: Veteran’s Day Assembly
November 10, 2023: No School - Veterans’ Day Observed
November 22-27, 2023: No School - Thanksgiving Break
December 18-19, 2023: First semester exams
December 20, 2023 - January 2, 2024: No School - Christmas Break
January 3, 2024: No School - Professional Development / Exam Make-Up Day
January 15, 2024: No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
January 18, 2024: No School - Professional Development / Athletic Sports Stag
January 19, 2024: No School
January 25, 2024: Science Fair
February 12, 2024: No School - Professional Development
February 19, 2024: No School - Presidents’ Day
February 27, 2024: Early Dismissal (12:00 pm) - ACT (Juniors) / IOWA Testing (Freshmen)
March 11, 2024: No School
March 19, 2024: Career Day
March 27, 2024: No School – Staff Religious In-Service Day
March 27 - April 7, 2024: No School - Easter Break
April 1-8, 2024: San Juan Bautista Pilgrimage
April 1-9, 2024: Assisi Scholars Pilgrimage
April 13, 2024: Evening For Excellence
April 26, 2024: No School - PROM
April 29, 2024: No School - Professional Development
May 3, 2024: Fine Arts Festival
May 6-17, 2024: AP Testing
May 20-21, 2024: Senior Exams
May 22, 2024: Senior Make-up Exams / Senior Lock-In (evening)
May 23, 2024: Seniors Last Day / Senior Assembly
May 24, 2024: Underclass Last Day of Classes
May 27, 2024: No School - Memorial Day
May 28, 2024: Underclass Exams
May 29, 2024: Underclass Exams / Graduation Practice
May 30, 2024: Baccalaureate Evening Mass & Awards
May 31, 2024: GRADUATION
Drivers' Education Classes
Driver’s education classes at Roger Bacon will be offered for the last time this school year starting in April. Classroom times are from 3:00 – 6:15 pm on the following dates:
- Monday, April 3rd
- Tuesday, April 4th
- Tuesday, April 18th
- Thursday, April 20th
- Tuesday, April 25th
- Thursday, April 27th
- Tuesday, May 2nd
- Thursday, May 4th
Information packets can be picked up in the Main Office.
Grief and Loss Support Group
Our Grief and Loss Support Group hosted by Companions on a Journey. This group is for any student in our Roger Bacon community that has been impacted by loss. The group meets on Thursdays in room 20 from 9:30 – 10:15 am on the following dates: March 16, 30, April 20 and May 11. There is a registration/consent form that your parent/guardian will need to complete, just click on this link to access the consent form. If you require a paper copy of the consent form, please stop by the Counseling Office. Please see Ms. Smith or Ms. Rosfeld in the Counseling Office with any questions.
We have reached out to MindPeace as a resource for our students and families dealing with mental health issues. MindPeace helps families and schools identify resources by housing a database of community and school-based mental health professionals and agencies. Visit the MindPeace homepage to find the searchable database or you can contact them directly at (513) 803-0844 if you need additional mental health resources in the Greater Cincinnati area. Several suggested resources include the following:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
- Best Point Behavioral Health by The Children's Home is a pediatric mental health urgent care facility. They see people up to age 21, Monday through Friday from 3:00 - 10:00 pm, and help those who need immediate social or emotional care not rising to the level of going to the hospital. For information about mental health programs for children and their families, call (513) 272-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a therapist in Greater Cincinnati for people up to age 25, use the MindPeace searchable data base at https://mindpeacecincinnati.com/search/?wpbdp_view=search.
- For coping strategies, go to the virtual MindPeace Rooms at https://mindpeacecincinnati.com/virtual-mindpeace-rooms/.
Is the winter weather making you wish for summer? Check out the Guidance website for our 2023-2024 Summer Programming list. This list will be updated regularly as we receive information about programs for this summer. https://www.rogerbacon.org/academics/guidance-counseling/summer-programs
Now that many seniors have received their college acceptances, it’s time to start getting scholarships to pay for college! There are several scholarships already listed on the Guidance website (under the “Academics” tab) – check it out regularly to see all of the updates. Scholarship updates can also be found on our twitter account @RBGuidance.
Check for updates on Naviance and register to meet with these College Admissions Representatives. Fall is a great time to visit colleges in person. Seniors have THREE college visit days they can use – remember to get the form signed and turned in to Mr. McCoy one week in advance of your visit.
Follow the counselors on twitter at @RBGuidance for updates!
Evening for Excellence
The Evening for Excellence (EFE) is Roger Bacon’s primary fundraiser and will be held this year on April 22nd. In order to have a successful EFE, we are in need of items for our silent and live auctions. If you have items you received for Christmas that you don’t want or think you will use, send them in to us for the EFE. If you liked all your gifts but can donate items to fill baskets or offer as single auction items, please help us.
We are hoping to offer auction items in these categories: Sports – Wine and Spirits – Kitchen – Holidays – Home and Garden – Art – Jewelry – Special Events (tickets to plays, sporting events, movie theaters, etc.). Single items, such as small appliances, make great auction items. Gift cards, cash donations (used to buy items to complete a package), and Roger Bacon items are most welcome.
Please know that all donations, large or small, are very appreciated.
Please consider adding Roger Bacon Athletics to your Kroger Plus Card for their Community Rewards Program! This does not take long at all to sign up and does not take away any fuel points.
Here is how to sign up:
- visit https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
- sign in OR create your FREE online account
- Go to “My Account” then select “Community Rewards” on the left tab
- Search for “Roger Bacon Athletic Association” or enter our organization ID which is FL801
Click here to watch a video on how to do this!
Tuesdays with Vincent
- Throughout this year, each junior will service once at the Saint Vincent de Paul near Over-the-Rhine as a pantry escort. They will accompany neighbors in food selection through social interaction. Like Saint Francis of Assisi, this opportunity allows students to reach out and embrace the “lepers” of today – the homeless, the hungry, the struggling. We call this program “Tuesdays with Vincent.”
- Juniors are responsible for signing up for the day they desire that fits their schedule and transportation needs. Any question may be directed to Mr. Zlatic at PZlatic@RogerBacon.org
Community Service Opportunities. For a comprehensive guide to Roger Bacon’s Community Service program click here. You can email our department with any questions at: Outreach@RogerBacon.org.
Inclement Weather Instructions
As we approach possible inclement weather, the procedures we follow to notify our school community that we have either canceled or delayed the school day are contained below.
If a decision is made to delay or cancel school, you will be notified in 3 different ways:
- Utilizing the Springmyer Communications Network, the school closure information will be provided to WLW/TV Ch 5; WCPO/TV Ch 9; WCRC/TV Ch 12; WXIX/TV Ch 19; WSTR/TV Ch 64, and Cinci.com.
- A phone call will be made using our normal call system. Please ensure your phone numbers are up-to-date.
- An email message will be set to all students.
We will try and make the decision as early as possible so there is sufficient time to make necessary arrangements at home.
When members of our school community are traveling in inclement weather, safety is of paramount importance. Anticipate travel delays and leave home with sufficient time to make it to school safely and on time.
Remote Instruction - Expectations
At some point this year, students may need to attend Roger Bacon remotely due to COVID quarantine guidelines. In order to stay caught up with classes while on remote, please use following guidelines:
- A parent or guardian must notify the main office in order for you to be listed as remote for the day.
- To enter a teacher’s Zoom room, click on the link posted in your class bulletin board on SpartanLink.
- If you are waiting to be let in to a teacher’s Zoom room, email email@example.com
ASAP to alert us of this issue so we can get you connected.
- You must have your full, correct name listed in Zoom.
- You must have your video on at all times and microphone on mute unless the teacher asks you to unmute.
- If you need to step away to use the restroom, use the chat function in Zoom to alert the teacher.
- RB dress code must be observed.
- All disciplinary expectations will be followed (no sleeping, no chewing gum or eating, etc.).
- First Friday Mass. Mass is at 8:15 am in the Carol Dauwe Fine Arts Center. Pastries and coffee are served after Mass. We usually have 40-50 OLA and RB alums, friends and relatives on a regular basis. Contact a fellow alum and enjoy a morning of prayer and fellowship. Reservations are not necessary. The next First Friday Mass is Friday, May 5th.
- Alumni Association Meetings. All alums are welcome to come and help support the students at RB. The next meeting is Thursday, March 9th at 6:30 pm in the ITC
- Bron Bacevich Memorial Engraved Bricks. Support the Roger Bacon/OLA Alumni Association by purchasing a brick which can be designated for placement in the new stadium. For more information, contact Rick Sollmann at 641-1313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WG Grinders partners with MySchoolAccount.com for the managing of our lunch service software and payments. MySchoolAccount.com offers you the ability to make deposits directly into your student’s account online or via their mobile app. Here you can track what your children have been eating for the past 30 days, transfer funds between students and have an email reminder sent to you when an account balance gets low. Deposits and payments can be made through ACH (checking/savings) or credit/debit card. We will still accept checks sent to the school (made out to WG Grinders), credit card payments at the register, and cash. Each child’s account will be updated in real time, so account balance information will be current daily.
- Questions? Contact Mark Jones, IT Director, WG Grinders Catering and Cafeteria Operations, at email@example.com or via phone at (937) 760-7346.
- An important part of our safety plan is ensuring that students who are sick are not permitted to come to school. If you are sick, please stay home. Check the temperature of students before leaving home. Students with a temperature of 100.4 degrees of higher should stay at home.
- Students are not permitted to carry any medications (except for inhalers and epi pens). Tylenol and Ibuprofen are available to students in the nurse’s office. All other medications needed during school hours are to be kept in the nurse’s office and a Medication Authorization Form completed and signed by their physician. This form is available on the school website in Health Services or contact the nurse.
- Senior students must submit documentation of receiving their Meningitis vaccine. If you have not yet done so, please send an updated vaccine record to the nurse. If you have any questions, please contact our school nurse, Karin Herold, via email or leave a voice message 513-641-1300, ext 1140.
COVID-19 Policies and Protocols
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) updated its COVID-19 guidance for students ahead of the new school year. ODH no longer recommends widespread masking and COVID testing for schools. Instead, state health officials ask people who feel ill to stay home and away from others – just as they would with other illnesses.
We also received operational guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to support “safe in-person learning.” The CDC no longer recommends quarantining if a person comes into close contact with someone with the virus regardless of vaccination status. The CDC has also dropped its suggestion to keep six feet apart from others.
The CDC provided a variety of strategies for everyday operations to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
- Stay Up-to-Date on Vaccinations. COVID-19 vaccinations help people from getting severely ill with COVID-19. Roger Bacon does not require students or staff to be vaccinated to attend school or participate in school activities and extracurriculars.
- Stay Home When Sick. Families are reminded of the importance of keeping students out of the classroom if they are sick. Anyone with symptoms or a temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit should stay home.
- Ventilation. Optimizing ventilation and making improvements to indoor air quality reduces the risk of germs and contaminants spreading through the air. We have made significant improvements to the air quality throughout the school.
- Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette. Washing hands can prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Reinforce coverings coughs and sneezes to help individuals from getting and spreading infectious diseases. Roger Bacon will provide adequate hand-washing supplies and hand-sanitizing opportunities in classrooms and high-traffic areas throughout school facilities.
- Masking. The wearing of face coverings is not mandated. Parents have the option to have their children wear masks while in school or participating in school activities. Disposable masks will be available at all primary entrances to school facilities.
Positive Test. Individuals who test positive should self-quarantine for 5 days from the day symptoms first appear or the date of the COVID test if the individual is asymptomatic. If after 5 days the individual is asymptomatic (no symptoms), no further quarantine is required.
Exposure. Roger Bacon does not do contact tracing. If someone has been exposed, they should monitor for symptoms. If symptoms persist, recommend consulting your family physician.
Remote Learning. Roger Bacon does not offer full-time remote learning. This option is only available to those students while in a quarantine status.
Sports. The use of face coverings will not be required to attend sporting events. There will not be capacity limits at sporting events.
Important Upcoming Dates:
Mar 14: PTO Meeting
Mar 16-17: Junior J.O.Y. Retreat
Mar 17: No School - Professional Development
Mar 20: No School
Mar 22: Career Day
Mar 24: Blood Drive
Mar 28: College Information Night (Virtual)(7:00 pm)
Mar 30-Apr 2: Spring Musical - "We Will Rock You"
Apr 3: PTO Meeting
Apr 5: No School - Religious In-Service Day
Apr 6-16: No School - Easter Break
Apr 10-15: San Juan Bautista Pilgrimage
Apr 10-18: Assisi Scholars Pilgrimage
Apr 22: Evening For Excellence
Apr 28: No School - PROM / Professional Development
May 1-12: AP Testing
May 5: Fine Arts Festival
May 9: PTO Meeting
May 12: Go Local / Michaela Farms / Powderpuff Football
May 15-16: Senior Exams
May 17: Senior Make-up Exams
May 18: All School Mass / Senior Lock-In
May 19: Seniors Last Day
May 21: Senior Assisi Scholar Banquet
May 22: Underclass Last Day
May 23: Underclass Exams/Graduation Practice
May 24: Underclass Exams
May 25: Baccalaureate Evening Mass & Awards
May 26: Graduation
May 30-June 1: Kairos