- Regular Schedule
- Varsity Lacrosse @ McNicholas
- Varsity Boys Volleyball @ West Clermont
- Regular Schedule
- Assisi Scholars Return From Italy
- Community Outreach: Tuesday with Vincent
- Varsity Baseball vs Purcell @ Roselawn Sports Complex
- Varsity Softball vs Cincinnati Christian @ Vine Street Park
- Regular Schedule
- Board of Directors Meeting (4:30 pm in the ITC)
- Varsity Track @ Lakota West
- Varsity Boys Volleyball @ Elder
- Regular Schedule
- Grief and Loss Support Group (9:30 am in room 20)
- Community Outreach Project: Salvation Sandwiches
- Varsity Baseball vs Purcell @ Ross Park
- Varsity Lacrosse @ Summit Country Day
- Varsity Softball vs Norwood @ Vine Street Park
- Evening for Excellence
- Varsity Baseball vs Madeira @ Ross Park
- Varsity Softball @ Reading (Doubleheader)
- Varsity Boys Volleyball vs Alter/Chaminade Julienne @ Alter
- Varsity Boys Volleyball @ Carroll
- Varsity Track (Centerville Field Event Classic) @ Centerville
- Juniors and Seniors – Prom is approaching! It will be held on Friday, April 28th from 7:30-11:30 pm at the Newport Aquarium. Tickets will be sold from Friday, March 31st through Thursday, April 20th in the cafeteria during lunch and in Mr. Smith’s room (Room 16) before or after school. More information will be distributed in Flex on Friday, March 31st!
- Driver’s education classes at Roger Bacon will be offered for the last time this school year starting in April. Classroom times are from 3:00 – 6:15 pm on the following dates: April 3, 4, 18, 20, 25, 27, and May 2, and 4. Information packets can be picked up in the Main Office.
- The Roger Bacon Underwater Hockey Team is having a fundraising night at the Buffalo Wings and Rings in Finneytown on Monday, April 17th between 5:00 and 8:00 pm. 10% of food sales will be donated to the team. Please tell your family, friends and neighbors! Hope to see you there!
- Cheerleading Tryouts for 2023/24
- Tuesday, April 18th and Wednesday, April 19th: Clinic for incoming freshmen and those who have not cheered at Roger Bacon (5:00 - 7:30 pm)
- Thursday, April 20th: Tryouts (5:00 pm until complete)
- If you are interested in being part of Student Senate for the 2023/24 school year, sign-up sheets are outside of the Guidance and Advancement offices until Wednesday, April 26th. After signing up, you will receive an email from Mr. Smith about the next steps for applying.
- Junior and Senior Students – The Roger Bacon PTO is hosting an AFTER PROM on Friday April 28, from 11:30 pm – 3:00 am in the Fogarty Center. All Junior and Senior students, including those that ARE NOT attending Prom, are invited to enjoy this fun, safe event. There will be games and activities provided by Cincinnati Circus Company, and plenty of food including Taco Bell, Raising Canes, Krispy Crème Doughnuts, and White Castle. Tickets are just $10. See Mr. Smith in room 17 to purchase.
- Raffle ticket sales have begun for the 2023 Evening for Excellence Grand Raffle! This year's winner will receive $10,000! Raffle tickets can be purchased online by clicking here. You do NOT have to be in attendance at the 2023 Evening for Excellence to claim your prize!
- Kenzie's Closet is nonprofit organization that provides prom dresses and accessories to high school students at no cost to those who are in current financial or personal need. Please see Ms. Smith in the Guidance Office for more information about receiving prom dress assistance.
Key Senior Dates/Activities
Senior Parents: I sent you a letter with some important upcoming events for our seniors. I made a mistake on the cover letter with a couple dates concerning graduation activities and want to make sure you have the correct information. The “End of Year Senior Information Sheet” on bright orange paper is correct. Key dates are as follows:
- Prom – Friday, April 28th
- Academic/Service Awards Recognition (Virtual) – Starting the week of May 1st
- Senior Exams – Monday, May 15th and Tuesday, May 16th
- Senior Lock-In – Thursday, May 18th
- Senior Assembly / Last Day: Friday, May 19th
- Assisi Scholar Banquet – Sunday, May 21st
- Graduation Practice - Tuesday, May 23rd
- Graduation Mass and Awards Ceremony – Thursday, May 25th
- Graduation – Friday, May 26th
Grief and Loss Support Group
Our Grief and Loss Support Group hosted by Companions on a Journey. This group is for any student in our Roger Bacon community that has been impacted by loss. The group meets on Thursdays in room 20 from 9:30 – 10:15 am on the following dates: April 20th and May 11th. There is a registration/consent form that your parent/guardian will need to complete, just click on this link to access the consent form. If you require a paper copy of the consent form, please stop by the Counseling Office. Please see Ms. Smith or Ms. Rosfeld in the Counseling Office with any questions.
We have reached out to MindPeace as a resource for our students and families dealing with mental health issues. MindPeace helps families and schools identify resources by housing a database of community and school-based mental health professionals and agencies. Visit the MindPeace homepage to find the searchable database or you can contact them directly at (513) 803-0844 if you need additional mental health resources in the Greater Cincinnati area. Several suggested resources include the following:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
- Best Point Behavioral Health by The Children's Home is a pediatric mental health urgent care facility. They see people up to age 21, Monday through Friday from 3:00 - 10:00 pm, and help those who need immediate social or emotional care not rising to the level of going to the hospital. For information about mental health programs for children and their families, call (513) 272-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a therapist in Greater Cincinnati for people up to age 25, use the MindPeace searchable data base at https://mindpeacecincinnati.com/search/?wpbdp_view=search.
- For coping strategies, go to the virtual MindPeace Rooms at https://mindpeacecincinnati.com/virtual-mindpeace-rooms/.
Is the winter weather making you wish for summer? Check out the Guidance website for our 2023-2024 Summer Programming list. This list will be updated regularly as we receive information about programs for this summer. https://www.rogerbacon.org/academics/guidance-counseling/summer-programs
Now that many seniors have received their college acceptances, it’s time to start getting scholarships to pay for college! There are several scholarships already listed on the Guidance website (under the “Academics” tab) – check it out regularly to see all of the updates. Scholarship updates can also be found on our twitter account @RBGuidance.
Check for updates on Naviance and register to meet with these College Admissions Representatives. Fall is a great time to visit colleges in person. Seniors have THREE college visit days they can use – remember to get the form signed and turned in to Mr. McCoy one week in advance of your visit.
Follow the counselors on twitter at @RBGuidance for updates!
Please consider adding Roger Bacon Athletics to your Kroger Plus Card for their Community Rewards Program! This does not take long at all to sign up and does not take away any fuel points.
Here is how to sign up:
- visit https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
- sign in OR create your FREE online account
- Go to “My Account” then select “Community Rewards” on the left tab
- Search for “Roger Bacon Athletic Association” or enter our organization ID which is FL801
Click here to watch a video on how to do this!
Tuesdays with Vincent
- Throughout this year, each junior will service once at the Saint Vincent de Paul near Over-the-Rhine as a pantry escort. They will accompany neighbors in food selection through social interaction. Like Saint Francis of Assisi, this opportunity allows students to reach out and embrace the “lepers” of today – the homeless, the hungry, the struggling. We call this program “Tuesdays with Vincent.”
- Juniors are responsible for signing up for the day they desire that fits their schedule and transportation needs. Any question may be directed to Mr. Zlatic at PZlatic@RogerBacon.org
Community Service Opportunities. For a comprehensive guide to Roger Bacon’s Community Service program click here. You can email our department with any questions at: Outreach@RogerBacon.org.
Remote Instruction - Expectations
At some point this year, students may need to attend Roger Bacon remotely due to COVID quarantine guidelines. In order to stay caught up with classes while on remote, please use following guidelines:
- A parent or guardian must notify the main office in order for you to be listed as remote for the day.
- To enter a teacher’s Zoom room, click on the link posted in your class bulletin board on SpartanLink.
- If you are waiting to be let in to a teacher’s Zoom room, email email@example.com
ASAP to alert us of this issue so we can get you connected.
- You must have your full, correct name listed in Zoom.
- You must have your video on at all times and microphone on mute unless the teacher asks you to unmute.
- If you need to step away to use the restroom, use the chat function in Zoom to alert the teacher.
- RB dress code must be observed.
- All disciplinary expectations will be followed (no sleeping, no chewing gum or eating, etc.).
- First Friday Mass. Mass is at 8:15 am in the Carol Dauwe Fine Arts Center. Pastries and coffee are served after Mass. We usually have 40-50 OLA and RB alums, friends and relatives on a regular basis. Contact a fellow alum and enjoy a morning of prayer and fellowship. Reservations are not necessary. The next First Friday Mass is Friday, May 5th.
- Alumni Association Meetings. All alums are welcome to come and help support the students at RB. The next meeting is Thursday, May 11th at 6:30 pm in the ITC.
- Bron Bacevich Memorial Engraved Bricks. Support the Roger Bacon/OLA Alumni Association by purchasing a brick which can be designated for placement in the new stadium. For more information, contact Rick Sollmann at 641-1313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WG Grinders partners with MySchoolAccount.com for the managing of our lunch service software and payments. MySchoolAccount.com offers you the ability to make deposits directly into your student’s account online or via their mobile app. Here you can track what your children have been eating for the past 30 days, transfer funds between students and have an email reminder sent to you when an account balance gets low. Deposits and payments can be made through ACH (checking/savings) or credit/debit card. We will still accept checks sent to the school (made out to WG Grinders), credit card payments at the register, and cash. Each child’s account will be updated in real time, so account balance information will be current daily.
- Questions? Contact Mark Jones, IT Director, WG Grinders Catering and Cafeteria Operations, at email@example.com or via phone at (937) 760-7346.
- An important part of our safety plan is ensuring that students who are sick are not permitted to come to school. If you are sick, please stay home. Check the temperature of students before leaving home. Students with a temperature of 100.4 degrees of higher should stay at home.
- Students are not permitted to carry any medications (except for inhalers and epi pens). Tylenol and Ibuprofen are available to students in the nurse’s office. All other medications needed during school hours are to be kept in the nurse’s office and a Medication Authorization Form completed and signed by their physician. This form is available on the school website in Health Services or contact the nurse.
- Senior students must submit documentation of receiving their Meningitis vaccine. If you have not yet done so, please send an updated vaccine record to the nurse. If you have any questions, please contact our school nurse, Karin Herold, via email or leave a voice message 513-641-1300, ext 1140.
COVID-19 Policies and Protocols
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) updated its COVID-19 guidance for students ahead of the new school year. ODH no longer recommends widespread masking and COVID testing for schools. Instead, state health officials ask people who feel ill to stay home and away from others – just as they would with other illnesses.
We also received operational guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to support “safe in-person learning.” The CDC no longer recommends quarantining if a person comes into close contact with someone with the virus regardless of vaccination status. The CDC has also dropped its suggestion to keep six feet apart from others.
The CDC provided a variety of strategies for everyday operations to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
- Stay Up-to-Date on Vaccinations. COVID-19 vaccinations help people from getting severely ill with COVID-19. Roger Bacon does not require students or staff to be vaccinated to attend school or participate in school activities and extracurriculars.
- Stay Home When Sick. Families are reminded of the importance of keeping students out of the classroom if they are sick. Anyone with symptoms or a temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit should stay home.
- Ventilation. Optimizing ventilation and making improvements to indoor air quality reduces the risk of germs and contaminants spreading through the air. We have made significant improvements to the air quality throughout the school.
- Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette. Washing hands can prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Reinforce coverings coughs and sneezes to help individuals from getting and spreading infectious diseases. Roger Bacon will provide adequate hand-washing supplies and hand-sanitizing opportunities in classrooms and high-traffic areas throughout school facilities.
- Masking. The wearing of face coverings is not mandated. Parents have the option to have their children wear masks while in school or participating in school activities. Disposable masks will be available at all primary entrances to school facilities.
Positive Test. Individuals who test positive should self-quarantine for 5 days from the day symptoms first appear or the date of the COVID test if the individual is asymptomatic. If after 5 days the individual is asymptomatic (no symptoms), no further quarantine is required.
Exposure. Roger Bacon does not do contact tracing. If someone has been exposed, they should monitor for symptoms. If symptoms persist, recommend consulting your family physician.
Remote Learning. Roger Bacon does not offer full-time remote learning. This option is only available to those students while in a quarantine status.
Sports. The use of face coverings will not be required to attend sporting events. There will not be capacity limits at sporting events.
Important Upcoming Dates:
Apr 28: No School - PROM / Professional Development
May 1-12: AP Testing
May 5: Fine Arts Festival
May 9: PTO Meeting
May 12: Go Local / Michaela Farms / Powderpuff Football
May 15-16: Senior Exams
May 17: Senior Make-up Exams
May 18: All School Mass / Senior Lock-In
May 19: Seniors Last Day
May 21: Senior Assisi Scholar Banquet
May 22: Underclass Last Day
May 23: Underclass Exams/Graduation Practice
May 24: Underclass Exams
May 25: Baccalaureate Evening Mass & Awards
May 26: Graduation
May 30-June 1: Kairos
Aug 10-11: Freshmen Orientation Days
Aug 16: First Day of Classes for All Students
Sept 4: No School - Labor Day
Sept 14: Meet the Teacher Night
Sept 15: No School - Professional Development
Sept 20: Freshmen Grandparents Day / Financial Aid Night
Oct 16: No School - Professional Development
Oct 20: Homecoming
Oct 21: Homecoming Dance
Oct 27: Dismissal at 12:00 - Pre-ACT/ Practice ACT Testing / Job Shadowing
Oct 29: OPEN HOUSE
Oct 30: No School
Nov 9: Veteran’s Day Assembly
Nov 10: No School - Veterans’ Day Observed
Nov 22-27: No School - Thanksgiving Break
Dec 18-19: First semester exams
Dec 20 - Jan 2, 2024: No School - Christmas Break
Jan 3, 2024: No School - Professional Development / Exam Make-Up Day
Jan 15, 2024: No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Jan 18, 2024: No School - Professional Development / Athletic Sports Stag
Jan 19, 2024: No School
Jan 25, 2024: Science Fair
Feb 12, 2024: No School - Professional Development
Feb 19, 2024: No School - Presidents’ Day
Feb 27, 2024: Early Dismissal (12:00 pm) - ACT (Juniors) / IOWA Testing (Freshmen)
Mar 11, 2024: No School
Mar 19, 2024: Career Day
Mar 27, 2024: No School – Staff Religious In-Service Day
Mar 27 - April 7, 2024: No School - Easter Break
Apr 1-8, 2024: San Juan Bautista Pilgrimage
Apr 1-9, 2024: Assisi Scholars Pilgrimage
Apr 13, 2024: Evening For Excellence
Apr 26, 2024: No School - PROM
Apr 29, 2024: No School - Professional Development
May 3, 2024: Fine Arts Festival
May 6-17, 2024: AP Testing
May 20-21, 2024: Senior Exams
May 22, 2024: Senior Make-up Exams / Senior Lock-In (evening)
May 23, 2024: Seniors Last Day / Senior Assembly
May 24, 2024: Underclass Last Day of Classes
May 27, 2024: No School - Memorial Day
May 28, 2024: Underclass Exams
May 29, 2024: Underclass Exams / Graduation Practice
May 30, 2024: Baccalaureate Evening Mass & Awards
May 31, 2024: Graduation