- Regular Schedule
- Freshmen Service Day #3 (1/4 class)
- College Visit: Saint Mary's College (East-wing Conference Room)
- College Visit: The University of Tampa (Room 22)
- Community Outreach Project: Bacon Buddies
- Community Outreach Project: Bingo @ Archbishop Leibold Home (7:00 - 9:00 pm)
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs New Richmond (Sectionals)
- Regular Schedule
- Spiritual Life Activity: Flex Mass (Intentions of the Cross Country Team)
- College Visit: Nova Southeastern University (East-wing Conference Room)
- College Visit: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (Room 22)
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs CHCA (Sectionals)
- Regular Schedule
- Blood Drive (Fogarty Center)
- College Visit: Columbia College Chicago (Room 22)
- College Visit: University of St. Thomas (MN) (East-wing Conference Room)
- Board of Directors Meeting (4:30 pm in the ITC)
- Student Athlete Information Night (7:00 pm in the FAC)
- Regular Schedule
- Coffee with Christ (7:20 am in the Spiritual Life Office)
- Community Outreach Project: Salvation Sandwiches
- College Visit: Cincinnati State Technical and Community College (East-wing Conference Room)
- College Visit: University of Louisville (Room 22)
- Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Reading or Taylor @ Princeton (Sectionals) (5:30 pm)
- Varsity Boys Soccer @ Wyoming (Sectionals) (7:00 pm)
- Regular Schedule
- Spiritual Life Activity: Art Prayer (Flex in the ITC)
- College Visit: Miami University, Oxford (Room 22)
- College Visit: Xavier University (East-wing Conference Room)
- Varsity Football vs North College Hill (Senior Night)
- Varsity Cross Country (District Championships) @ Voice of America Park
- Varsity Girls Soccer @ Indian Hill (Sectionals)
- Open House (1:00 - 4:00 pm)
- The State tournament starts for several fall sports teams (soccer, volleyball and cross country). Unfortunately, since these are State-sponsored events, there is an admission charge for all spectators. The cost is $6 for students (K-12); $8 for adults; children 5 years of age or younger are free. The tickets are bought online by following this link: https://www.ohsaa.org/tickets.
- Drivers Education classes start on Tuesday, October 18th. Please stop by the Main Office to sign-up and pick up a packet of information. Classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 4 weeks.
- There is a Flex Mass on Tuesday, October 18th in the Our Lady of the Angels Chapel for the intentions of the Cross Country Team. All are welcome!
- Blood Drive. Rules regarding who can donate make it more difficult for many of our students to qualify, so we are reaching out to our entire Roger Bacon community to help with this life giving gift! Our Blood Drive is on Wednesday, October 19th from 8:30 - 11:00 am and 12:30 - 2:30 pm in the Fogarty Center. Donors must have a photo ID and weigh at least 110 pounds. To schedule an appointment, please contact Ms. Knudson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Athlete College Information Night. For any student interested in participating in college athletics, this program is a great opportunity to get more information about the process and learn more about what you can expect. Please register to attend and come ready with questions! Register using this link: Student Athlete College Information Night Registration. The program will take place on Wednesday, October 19th at 7:00 pm in the FAC. We hope to see you there!
- Art Club invites you to a "Pumpkin Carving Party" on Thursday, October 20th in room 57 after school. Bring your own hollowed-out pumpkin to room 57 before school.
- On Friday October 21st at the football game vs North College Hill, we will be celebrating Senior Night for Football, Cheer, Cross Country, and RB3.
- Our Open House is on Sunday, October 23rd from 1:00 – 4:00 pm.
- There is no school on Monday, October 24th.
- October 25th is Testing Day. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors will be dismissed at noon. See below for more information.
- Tutoring Opportunities. Starting October 27, academic support through Math Lab and Peer Tutoring will be available in Flex. Math Lab is offered two days a week during Flex and is required for any student who did not pass first quarter in math class. Math teachers will notify these students which days of the week they will need to report for Math Lab. Students who did not fail math first quarter but would like to attend should talk to their math teacher. Math Lab takes priority over any other Flex requests. Peer Tutoring is sponsored by NHS and takes place Mondays and Thursdays in Flex. To request a peer tutor or to volunteer to be a peer tutor, fill out the Peer Tutor Request form on your iPads. For questions, see Ms. Knudson (email@example.com) in Room 34.
- Mark your Calendars! (More information to follow)
- Picture Retake Day is Thursday, November 3rd.
- Our Veterans' Day Assembly will take place on Thursday, November 10th.
- There is no school on Friday, November 11th in honor of Veterans' Day.
Testing Day - October 25th
Tuesday, October 25th is a testing day for our freshmen, sophomores, and juniors.
- Freshmen and sophomores will have the opportunity to take the Pre-ACT. This will offer them helpful information regarding their potential performance on the ACT in their junior year.
- Juniors will take the Practice ACT administered by Academic Solutions. This test will provide useful information prior to the actual ACT on February 28, 2023. Information will also be used by Academic Solutions to guide the ACT Prep class offered to all juniors free of charge before the February 2023 testing.
- Students do not register or pay for the Pre-ACT or the Practice ACT. After these tests are administered, students will be dismissed at noon. Lunch will not be provided.
- There will be after school study tables in the cafeteria until 1:00 pm. The Fitness Center will be closed.
- Seniors are not required to attend school on October 25th. Please use this time for job shadowing, college visits, and working on college applications and/or scholarships.
Please consider adding Roger Bacon Athletics to your Kroger Plus Card for their Community Rewards program! This does not take long at all to sign up and does not take away any fuel points. We are in 240 households currently and set a goal of getting that to 300 by the end of this school year! Easy steps can be found below.
Here is how to sign up:
- visit https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
- sign in OR create your FREE online account
- Go to “My Account” then select “Community Rewards” on the left tab
- Search for “Roger Bacon Athletic Association” or enter our organization ID which is FL801
Click here to watch a video on how to do this!
- The Ohio Knights of Columbus is offering a $1000 scholarship to students who attend an Ohio Catholic high school. Applicants must be a practicing Catholic and have at least a 2.5 GPA. Information and access to the scholarship application is on the Guidance website (under “Academics” on the RB website) and is posted on the Guidance Bulletin Board across from the office. The deadline to apply is November 25, 2022.
- Check for updates on Naviance and register to meet with these College Admissions Representatives. Fall is a great time to visit colleges in person. Seniors have THREE college visit days they can use – remember to get the form signed and turned in to Mr. McCoy one week in advance of your visit.
- Follow the counselors on twitter at @RBGuidance for updates!
Freshmen Service Day
Freshmen year is a time in which Roger Bacon would like to provide students with the opportunity to learn more about our Christian call to serve. This will happen in two parts. First, freshmen had their Freshman Community Day called Koinonia on August 13, 2021 to help them reflect on the connection between faith and service. Second, we divide the freshman class into quarters for a Freshman Service Day. Your child will be participating on an assigned service day in Over-the-Rhine that are:
- September 30, 2022: Accurso - Geraci
- October 10, 2022: Gipson - Lewis
- October 17, 2022: Lowery - Sandoval
- November 4, 2022: Scanlon - Wong
The Sophomore Service Day happens in the second semester. The entire sophomore class participate in service on Tuesday, February 28, 2023. Details and sign up will occur the latter part of first semester. Students will receive details via email and theology classes. More information will roll out November of 2022.
Tuesdays with Vincent
- Throughout this year, each junior will service once at the Saint Vincent de Paul near Over-the-Rhine as a pantry escort. They will accompany neighbors in food selection through social interaction. Like Saint Francis of Assisi, this opportunity allows students to reach out and embrace the “lepers” of today – the homeless, the hungry, the struggling. We call this program “Tuesdays with Vincent.”
- Juniors are responsible for signing up for the day they desire that fits their schedule and transportation needs. Any question may be directed to Mr. Zlatic at PZlatic@RogerBacon.org
Community Service Opportunities. For a comprehensive guide to Roger Bacon’s Community Service program click here. You can email our department with any questions at: Outreach@RogerBacon.org.
Remote Instruction - Expectations
At some point this year, students may need to attend Roger Bacon remotely due to COVID quarantine guidelines. In order to stay caught up with classes while on remote, please use following guidelines:
- A parent or guardian must notify the main office in order for you to be listed as remote for the day.
- To enter a teacher’s Zoom room, click on the link posted in your class bulletin board on SpartanLink.
- If you are waiting to be let in to a teacher’s Zoom room, email firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAP to alert us of this issue so we can get you connected.
- You must have your full, correct name listed in Zoom.
- You must have your video on at all times and microphone on mute unless the teacher asks you to unmute.
- If a you need to step away to use the restroom, use the chat function in Zoom to alert the teacher.
- RB dress code must be observed.
- All disciplinary expectations will be followed (no sleeping, no chewing gum or eating, etc.).
FLEX is the last period of the day. During this time, students can attend important meetings, complete school work, study, obtain academic help, etc. To ensure this period is as beneficial as possible, please pay attention to several simple rules:
- Electronics: Use of MP3 players, CD players, cell phones, smart watches, wireless headphones (air pods), or use of any other electrical devises are NOT permitted from 7:45 am- 2:45 pm.
- Students should not be watching movies or other entertainment programs through streaming or downloads.
- Students are permitted to listen to music on their iPads, through the use of wired headphones.
- First Friday Mass. Mass is at 8:15 am in the Carol Dauwe Fine Arts Center. Pastries and coffee are served after Mass. We usually have 40-50 OLA and RB alums, friends and relatives on a regular basis. Contact a fellow alum and enjoy a morning of prayer and fellowship. Reservations are not necessary. The next First Friday Mass is Friday, November 4th.
- Alumni Association Meetings. All alums are welcome to come and help support the students at RB. The next meeting is Thursday, November 10th at 6:30 pm in the ITC
- Bron Bacevich Memorial Engraved Bricks. Support the Roger Bacon/OLA Alumni Association by purchasing a brick which can be designated for placement in the new stadium. For more information, contact Rick Sollmann at 641-1313 or email@example.com.
- WG Grinders partners with MySchoolAccount.com for the managing of our lunch service software and payments. MySchoolAccount.com offers you the ability to make deposits directly into your student’s account online or via their mobile app. Here you can track what your children have been eating for the past 30 days, transfer funds between students and have an email reminder sent to you when an account balance gets low. Deposits and payments can be made through ACH (checking/savings) or credit/debit card. We will still accept checks sent to the school (made out to WG Grinders), credit card payments at the register, and cash. Each child’s account will be updated in real time, so account balance information will be current daily.
- Questions? Contact Mark Jones, IT Director, WG Grinders Catering and Cafeteria Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at (937) 760-7346.
- An important part of our safety plan is ensuring that students who are sick are not permitted to come to school. If you are sick, please stay home. Check the temperature of students before leaving home. Students with a temperature of 100.4 degrees of higher should stay at home.
- Students are not permitted to carry any medications (except for inhalers and epi pens). Tylenol and Ibuprofen are available to students in the nurse’s office. All other medications needed during school hours are to be kept in the nurse’s office and a Medication Authorization Form completed and signed by their physician. This form is available on the school website in Health Services or contact the nurse.
- Senior students must submit documentation of receiving their Meningitis vaccine. If you have not yet done so, please send an updated vaccine record to the nurse. If you have any questions, please contact our school nurse, Karin Herold, via email or leave a voice message 513-641-1300, ext 1140.
COVID-19 Policies and Protocols
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) updated its COVID-19 guidance for students ahead of the new school year. ODH no longer recommends widespread masking and COVID testing for schools. Instead, state health officials ask people who feel ill to stay home and away from others – just as they would with other illnesses.
We also received operational guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to support “safe in-person learning.” The CDC no longer recommends quarantining if a person comes into close contact with someone with the virus regardless of vaccination status. The CDC has also dropped its suggestion to keep six feet apart from others.
The CDC provided a variety of strategies for everyday operations to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, including COVID-19.
- Stay Up-to-Date on Vaccinations. COVID-19 vaccinations help people from getting severely ill with COVID-19. Roger Bacon does not require students or staff to be vaccinated to attend school or participate in school activities and extracurriculars.
- Stay Home When Sick. Families are reminded of the importance of keeping students out of the classroom if they are sick. Anyone with symptoms or a temperature above 100 degrees Fahrenheit should stay home.
- Ventilation. Optimizing ventilation and making improvements to indoor air quality reduces the risk of germs and contaminants spreading through the air. We have made significant improvements to the air quality throughout the school.
- Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette. Washing hands can prevent the spread of infectious diseases. Reinforce coverings coughs and sneezes to help individuals from getting and spreading infectious diseases. Roger Bacon will provide adequate hand-washing supplies and hand-sanitizing opportunities in classrooms and high-traffic areas throughout school facilities.
- Masking. The wearing of face coverings is not mandated. Parents have the option to have their children wear masks while in school or participating in school activities. Disposable masks will be available at all primary entrances to school facilities.
Positive Test. Individuals who test positive should self-quarantine for 5 days from the day symptoms first appear or the date of the COVID test if the individual is asymptomatic. If after 5 days the individual is asymptomatic (no symptoms), no further quarantine is required.
Exposure. Roger Bacon does not do contact tracing. If someone has been exposed, they should monitor for symptoms. If symptoms persist, recommend consulting your family physician.
Remote Learning. Roger Bacon does not offer full-time remote learning. This option is only available to those students while in a quarantine status.
Sports. The use of face coverings will not be required to attend sporting events. There will not be capacity limits at sporting events.
Important Upcoming Dates:
Oct 24, 2022: No School
Oct 25, 2022: Early Dismissal (Pre-ACT/Practice ACT/Job Shadowing)
Nov 1, 2022: All School Mass - All Saints Day
Nov 3, 2022: Picture Retake Day
Nov 10, 2022: Veteran’s Day Assembly
Nov 11, 2022: No School - Veterans’ Day
Nov 14, 2022: PTO Meeting
Nov 18-20, 2022: Fall Play (Hamlet)
Nov 23-28, 2022: No School - Thanksgiving Break
Dec 8, 2022: All School Mass - Feast of the Immaculate Conception
Dec 8-9, 2022: Junior J.O.Y. Retreat
Dec 19-20, 2022: First semester exams
Dec 20, 2022: End of 2nd Quarter/1st Semester
Dec 21, 2022-Jan 2, 2023: No School - Christmas Break
Jan 3, 2023: No School - Professional Development / Exam Make-Up Day
Jan 4, 2023: Classes Resume – Exam Make-Up Day
Jan 9, 2023: PTO Meeting
Jan 16, 2023: No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Jan 18, 2023: Celebration of Success (8th Graders)
Jan 19, 2023: Early Dismissal - Athletic Sports Stag
Jan 19-22, 2023: March for Life
Jan 29-Feb 3, 2023: Catholic Schools Week
Feb 1, 2023: All School Mass / Athletic College Signing Day
Feb 13, 2023: PTO Meeting
Feb 20, 2023: No School - Presidents’ Day
Feb 21-23: Kairos
Feb 22, 2023: All School Mass - Ash Wednesday
Feb 28, 2023: Early Dismissal - ACT / IOWA Testing
Mar 10, 2023: End of 3rd Quarter
Mar 14, 2023: PTO Meeting
Mar 16-17, 2023: Junior J.O.Y. Retreat
Mar 17, 2023: No School - Professional Development
Mar 20, 2023: No School
Mar 22, 2023: Career Day
Mar 30-Apr 2: Spring Musical
Apr 3, 2023: PTO Meeting
Apr 5, 2023: No School - Religious In-Service Day
Apr 6-16, 2023: No School - Easter Break
Apr 10-18, 2023: Assisi Scholars Pilgrimage
Apr 22, 2023: Evening For Excellence
Apr 28, 2023: No School - PROM / Professional Development
May 1-12, 2023: AP Testing
May 5, 2023: Fine Arts Festival
May 9, 2023: PTO Meeting
May 12, 2023: Go Local / Michaela Farms / Powderpuff Football
May 15-16, 2023: Senior Exams
May 17, 2023: Senior Make-up Exams
May 18, 2023: All School Mass / Senior Lock-In
May 19, 2023: Seniors Last Day
May 21, 2023: Senior Assisi Scholar Banquet
May 22, 2023: Underclass Last Day
May 23, 2023: Underclass Exams/Graduation Practice
May 24, 2023: Underclass Exams
May 25, 2023: Baccalaureate Evening Mass & Awards
May 26, 2023: Graduation
June 6-8, 2023: Kairos