Click to View the Week of October 23
- First quarter grades will be posted on Wednesday, October 25th.
- Our Open House is on Sunday, October 29th from 1:00 - 3:00 pm. Spread the word and all are invited to tour the best coed
high school in Cincinnati!! Go Spartans!
- On Monday, October 23rd during flex, there will be an all call meeting for anyone who is interested in participating in either the New Orleans Mission Trip or Negril, Jamaica Mission Trip. Both of these mission trips are taking place during the summer of 2018. If this is something you’ve always wanted to do, or if you just want to find out a bit more information about these opportunities, please stop by the meeting to find out more. Applications to participate in the mission trips will be distributed at this meeting. For more information, contact Ms. Auseré.
- Financial Aid Planning Night for seniors and their parents is Tuesday, October 24th from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in the Fine Arts Center. Guest speaker is Erica Henry from The University of Cincinnati Financial Aid Office.
- Attention Juniors - Registrations for the Joy Retreat are now available outside the Spiritual Life Office. Space is limited - slots will be filled first come, first served. See Ms. Romolo with any questions.
- Bowling. Open floor practices are being held October 23-27; and 30th from 3:00 - 5:00 pm at Colerain Bowl (9189 Colerain Ave 45251). Cost is $3.00 per bowler per day. Bowling tryouts will be November 8th and 9th from 3:30 - 5:00 pm at Colerain Bowl. Please email head coach Chris Miller with any questions at email@example.com.
- Girls basketball tryouts will be Friday, October 27th from 3:15 - 5:30 pm in the Fogarty gym. Please see Mr. Cheesman or Mr. Wiegand for more information.
- Fall Band Concert. Our first concert of the 2017-18 Music Season is on Thursday, November 2nd at 7:30 pm. Join us in the Fine Arts Center to see RB3 LIVE. If you haven't been able to make it to Battle of the Bands, this is your chance to see RB3, for free, right here at Roger Bacon. Our Fall Concert will have all the lights and effects of a rock show, and feature songs from both Round 1 and Round 2 of Battle of the Bands, plus all the favorites. Don't miss RB3 in concert!
- RB3 in Round 2 of Battle of the Bands. Our very own rock band, RB3, continues in the Battle of the Bands competition in Round 2 at The Underground on Saturday, November 4th at 7:00 pm. After winning our first round with the help of a great Spartan crowd, we will need your audience vote to help us move on to the semifinals. Pre-sale tickets are on sale at school for $8; tickets also available at the door for $10. See Mr. Montgomery for more details.
Picture Retake Day
Picture retakes will be on Tuesday, October 24th during Flex. Students who were absent on picture day or wish to have their pictures retaken may dress up on Tuesday. The dress code for pictures is as follows:
Ladies - Dress or skirt of appropriate length (same expectations as the school skirt) or dress pants.
- Pictures will only be taken from the waist up - school skirt or pants are permitted.
- No stretch pants, leggings, or tight pants or jeans of any kind.
- Ensure shoulders are covered and your top is not low cut.
Gentlemen - Dress Pants
- Collared shirt with a tie or bow tie - jackets are optional
Students who wish to exchange their purchased pictures should bring their picture packet on retake day. There is a $5 fee for any picture being retaken
from the original picture day. Any student photographed for the first time this year does not owe any fees unless they plan to order pictures.
Students who were absent and wish to buy pictures should pick up a retake order form from Mrs. Ochs-Naderer in room 34.
Seniors will not have retakes at school. Any senior who has not had a picture taken yet should see Mrs.Ochs-Naderer for further instructions.
Testing Day - Wednesday, October 25th
On Wednesday, October 25, we will be administering several tests to our students. Students will dismiss at 12:30 p.m. that day. Here is a general overview of the day.
Freshmen / Sophomores:
Freshmen and sophomores will take the Aspire test. This test is similar to the ACT which you will take as part of your college application process. This test provides students with several benefits:
- Information on specific strengths and areas for improvement in different subjects
- Practice taking a test like the ACT
- A prediction of how students might score on the ACT
In order to prepare for the test, you do not need to study. Get a good night’s sleep the night before, eat breakfast, and come to school with #2 pencils and a calculator. You will not be allowed to use your iPad as a calculator on this test.
Juniors / Assisi Scholars:
Juniors and sophomore Assisi Scholars will have the opportunity to take the PSAT. This test provides students with several benefits:
- Information on specific strengths and areas for improvement in math and English
- Practice taking a college entrance exam (SAT or ACT)
- A prediction of how students might score on the SAT
- A chance earn recognition from the National Merit Scholarship organization
In order to prepare for the test, you should review the student guide and practice test distributed in Flex last week. Get a good night’s sleep the night before the test, eat breakfast, and come to school with #2 pencils and a calculator. You will not be allowed to use your iPad as a calculator on this test.
Seniors will not report to school on October 25th and are encouraged to use this day for college visits, senior service project, etc.
After-school study tables will be held in the Information and Technology Center until 2:15 pm. The Fitness Center will be open until 5:00 pm.
March for Life
Applications for the 2018 March for Life trip to Washington D.C. are available in the Spiritual Life Office (Room 21). The trip is from January 18 - 21, 2018. Applications with a $50 deposit are due by Friday, November 3rd.
Parent/teacher conferences will be held Thursday, November 9th, from 3:00 to 8:00 pm. All parents are encouraged to arrange times to meet with as many of your child’s teachers as possible. Parents may begin scheduling conferences on Wednesday, November 1st. Scheduling can be accomplished on the school website or by calling the main office.
If you schedule online through the website (the preferred method),you will need your SpartanLink Parent ID and student birthdate (i.e. 02-21-2016). Under the “Students and Parents” section, there will be a button entitled “Schedule a Teacher Conference.” Click on this button and follow the instructions. Once your conference has been confirmed, your appointment cannot be changed online -- you will have to call the main office at (513) 641-1300 to make changes.
From the Guidance Office
The Knights of Columbus scholarship application is available in the Guidance Office and online. This $1,000 is open to students attending an Ohio Catholic High School in grades 9-12. Deadline to apply is November 15, 2017.
Below is a list of the schools and when they will be visiting. Be sure to take advantage of these visits. Sign-up sheets will be available outside of Guidance soon!
|October 23||Flex||Mt St Joseph University|
|October 24||Flex||Wittenberg University|
|October 26||Flex||St Benedict/St John's University|
|October 27||Flex||Hanover College|
|November 2||Flex||Ball State University|
|November 3||Flex||Cincinnati State|
|November 6||Flex||Youngstown State University|
|November 7||Flex||Xavier University|
|November 13||Flex||Miami University, Oxford, OH|
|November 14||Flex||University of Cincinnati - Blue Ash|
|November 20||Flex||Christ School of Nursing|
Evening for Excellence
Please continue selling tickets for the Evening for Excellence Grand Raffle - grand prize is a new JEEP Compass! Tickets cost $50 each or 5 for $200.
We will continue to sell tickets until November 4th when we will draw the winner’s name at the Evening for Excellence. Students are selling tickets
too. Each student has received two tickets, but may have more. For every two tickets a student sells, his/her name will be entered to win $250.
The top student seller will receive $500!
Saint Baldricks Day. “Brave the Shave – Embrace the Cut” line the halls of our school. Roger Bacon is kicking off our first ever childhood cancer awareness project – Saint Baldricks Day. Our Community Outreach Board is recruiting hairless heroes who will bravely undergo being shorn to help conquer childhood cancer. When a Spartan signs up they commit to selling tickets to have their head shaved (men, and some women) or eight inches cut (women’s hair will be donated to Hair We Share program). Those who buy tickets from these Hairless Heroes are placed into a lottery for that Hero. Ticket sales continue through January, culminating in our drawing at the end of January. As shaving day nears, (January 29, 2018) students who purchased tickets from particular Heroes are drawn. Winners will be able to shave/cut the hair of their Heroes (alongside of licensed barbers/stylists). These shorn Hairless Heroes will serve as an awareness of those youth fighting cancer. Tickets from Hairless Heroes are $2.00 each or 3 ticket for $5.00. Think about how your hair can save lives and sign up during flex in SLO (the Spiritual Life Office). For more information on the Saint Baldricks Foundation and Hair We Share click here. Be a Hairless Heroes and “Brave the Shave – Embrace the Cut.”
Freshmen Service Community Day. The break down, by last name, for Freshmen Service Days is as follows:
- October 27, 2017: DiAira Grant through Anna Kowlaski
- November 17, 2017: Grace Kremer through Abigail Schneider
- December 1, 2017: Josiah Schofield through Haoqin Zhang
Monthly RB Community Outreach Opportunities
St. Francis Ministries Soup Kitchen. Interested in serving hungry families, the young, and old? Spartans join other volunteers to feed people in Over-the-Rhine. Service may include serving food, filling drinks, and cleaning dishes. Service is from 4:15 - 5:30 pm on designated Mondays.
Archbishop Leibold Home. Spartans spend time with the elderly socializing and enjoying snacks over a lively game of bingo. New students are paired with experienced Spartans to "learn the ropes" and become comfortable with the environment. Service is from 7:00 - 9:00 pm on designated Mondays.
Bacon Buddies. RB Spartans mentor 3rd - 5th graders from different schools to help them grow in character and faith. This is done with "Conversations that Matter" which focuses on a character value (i.e., trust, respect, gratitude) and enjoyable fun activities. Service is from 3:10 - 4:10 pm on designated Mondays.
Service dates are as follows:
|Soup Kitchen||Archbishop Leibold Home||Bacon Buddies|
|November 13, 2017||November 6, 2017||November 13, 2017|
|December 11, 2017||December 4, 2017||December 11, 2017|
|January 22, 2018||January 8, 2018||January 22, 2018|
|February 12, 2018||February 5, 2018||February 12, 2018|
|March 12, 2018||March 5, 2018||March 12, 2018|
|April 16, 2018||April 9, 2018||April 16, 2018|
|May 3, 2018 (Thursday
Senior Citizen Prom)
Drama GuildDrama Guild News:
- October's monthly Drama Guild meeting will be held on Thursday, October 26th at 3:00 pm in the Fine Arts Center. Join us to talk about Open House and to have some Halloween fun!
- CAST & CREW - Program bios are due by October 26th to Ms. Murray.
- We are looking to place your business card, announcement for an upcoming event or shout out to a Cast and Crew member in our program for the fall play. Ads can be full, half and business card or even just a few words! Forms can be found on our website (link below) or contact Catie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org. All ads and money are due by October 31st.
- Tickets are on sale NOW for our fall production of Steel Magnolias. Call 513-641-1300 (ext. 12687) or email email@example.com to order! Show dates and prices are as follows:
November 17th and 18th - 7:30 pm
November 19th - 2:00 pm
$10 - Adults
$8 - Senior Citizens/Non-RB Students
FREE - RB Students/Children (10 and under)
Play Schedule for the week of 10/23/17:
Tuesday, 10/24: 3:15 - 5:30 pm - FAC - Act II, Scene 2, D
Wednesday, 10/25: 1:30 - 3:30 pm - FAC - Act II, Scene 2, E
Thursday, 10/26: 3:15 - 5:30 pm - FAC - Act II, Scene 2, D+E
Saturday, 10/28: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm - Set Construction
Drama Guild website - https://sites.google.com/site/rbdramaguild/
|Monday||Oct 23||Regular Schedule
College Visit: Mt. St. Joseph University
Varsity Girls Soccer vs Indian Hill @ Milford (Sectional Finals)
|Tuesday||Oct 24||Regular Schedule
Picture Retake Day (Flex)
College Visit: Wittenberg University
Financial Aid Planning Night (7:00 pm in Fine Arts Center)
Varsity Academic Team vs Seton/Oldenburg @ Cincinnati State
Varsity Boys Soccer vs Ross @ Milford (Sectional Finals)
|Wednesday||Oct 25||Testing Schedule - Dismissal at 12:30 pm
Freshmen/Sophomores - ASPIRE Testing
Juniors/Assisi Scholars - PSAT
Seniors - No School
Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Wyoming @ Wyoming (Sectional Finals)
|Thursday||Oct 26||Regular Schedule
College Visit: St. Benedict/St. John's University
|Friday||Oct 27||Regular Schedule
Freshmen Community Service Day
Varsity Football vs Purcell (Senior Night)
|Saturday||Oct 28||ACT Testing|
|Sunday||Oct 29||OPEN HOUSE|
December 21 - January 02: Christmas Break
January 05: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
January 09: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
January 11: Science Fair
January 12: End of 2nd Quarter
January 15: No School - Martin Luther King Day
January 17: Celebration of Success (Fine Arts Center)
January 17 - 19: Kairos
January 18 - 21: March for Life (Washington D.C.)
January 19: No School - Staff Professional Development
January 24: Freshmen Registration Begins
January 28 - February 03: Catholic Schools Week
January 31: Mass Schedule - Catholic Schools Week
February 02: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
February 08: Talent Show (Fine Arts Center)
Alumni Association Meeting (6:30 pm in ITC)
February 13: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
February 14: Mass Schedule - Ash Wednesday
February 15: Early Dismissal - Parent/Teacher Conferences
February 16: No School - Staff Professional Development
February 19: No School - Presidents' Day
February 21: Board of Trustees Meeting (4:30 pm in ITC)
February 24: St. Vincent de Paul Resource Fair (Fine Arts Center)
February 28: Assembly Schedule - Talent Show (Fine Arts Center)