Click to View the Week of October 2
- Are you good at trivia? Do you like Jeopardy? Come check out Roger Bacon’s Academic Team! This week during flex stop by Ms. Moore’s
room, room 32, to learn more about the team and how you can get involved.
- There will be a sign-up meeting for boys basketball this Friday during Flex in the Fogarty gym. All boys interested in playing basketball this season should plan on attending.
- National Performing & Visual Arts College Fair will be held in Cincinnati on Monday, October 2, 2017 from
6:30-8:30 pm at Xavier University Cintas Center. Visit www.nacacfairs.org/pvastudentregistration for a list of schools attending and to register.
- The PTA will be meeting in the cafeteria at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, October 10th. All parents are welcome to attend!
- Calling all parents who know how to build and use tools! The Cast and Crew of Steel Magnolias is in need of some help for the show's set building process and is looking for expert hands. If you are able to volunteer your time, lend us some tools or donate materials to help us transform the stage into a 1980's hair salon, please contact the Drama Director, Catie Murray via email at email@example.com.
From the Roger Bacon Cafeteria
Parents/Guardians: Keeping track of your student’s lunch account is easy and convenient. Follow these simple steps below to set up a LOW BALANCE email notification for their account balance. You will need your student’s ID number which can be located on their student ID card or their IPad to set up an account for them. Go to www.myschoolaccount.com to get started and/or to add the email notification to their account if you already have one set up.
Set-up and management is easy! Just follow these steps:
- 1.After logging into your account, on the MySchoolAccount dashboard, click "Manage My Account" at the top right of the page.
- 2.Find the Notification panel at the bottom of the page.
- 3.Check the "Send Low Balance Notification Emails" box.
- Set the desired Minimum Balance for each student tied to your account. When the account balance for a student falls below the minimum balance, the low balance notification email will be sent.
- Make sure the "Enabled" box is checked for each student for whom you would like to receive low balance notifications.
- To ensure that there will be no issue with receiving the emails, click the "Send Test Email" button, and check to see if you have received the test email. If not, check your email spam filters. You may need to allow emails from firstname.lastname@example.org through your spam filter.
- When finished, click "Save Changes".
Questions? Contact me at email@example.com. THANKS!
Hoxworth will be hosting a blood drive at Roger Bacon on Thursday, October 19th. Sign up for the blood drive will take place during lunch on October 9th and 10th. Anyone who is 16 years old or older is welcome to sign up. Your participation will help to save lives! THANK YOU in advance for helping to ensure our
blood drive is a success!
Day of Giving
During Homecoming Week, Roger Bacon launched a new project leading up to the Feast of St. Francis on October 4th - our first-ever "Day of Giving." We are collecting items for those in need. Students should bring donated items to their Flex room. Collections will be continued through October 4th. We will be collecting the following:
- Non-Perishable Food and Toiletries: Donated to St. Vincent de Paul
- Used Shoes: Donated to Friars Club
- Coats, Jackets, Hoodies: Donated to Mary Magdalene House and Shelter House
Thank you for your generosity. As St. Francis prays, "For it is in giving that we receive." The class (i.e., freshmen, sophomore, junior or senior) that brings in the most items will receive a free dress down day courtesy of Community Outreach! If you have any questions, please contact our Student Project Leaders Julia Mumper, Andy Gruenwald or Christine Hoffman.
Evening for Excellence
Invitations were mailed last week along with five tickets for the Grand Raffle – a brand new JEEP! Tickets cost $50 each or 5 for $200. We will continue to sell tickets until November 4th when we will draw the winner’s name at the Evening for Excellence. Students are selling tickets too. Each student has received two tickets, but may have more. For every two tickets a student sells, his/her name will be entered to win $250. The top student seller will receive $500! Only 34 more days left.
Ticket and money turn in days are Tuesdays and Thursdays in the cafeteria before school from 7:00 – 7:40 am. You may get additional tickets at that time too. Turn-in dates are: October 3, 5, 10, 12, 17, 19, 24, 26, and 31; and November 2nd.
From the Guidance Office
Financial Aid Planning Night. The Financial Aid Planning Night for seniors and their parents is Tuesday, October 24th from 7:00 - 8:30 pm in the Fine Arts Center. Guest speaker is Erica Henry from the University of Cincinnati Financial Aid Office.
Seniors: Stressed about the Common App? The counselors will be available every Monday and Friday during flex in the Information and Technology Center to answer your questions and help you submit your common app. Please email your counselor if you want to attend so that you can be added to the flex list.
Scholarship Opportunity. The Knights of Columbus scholarship application is available in the Guidance Office and online. This $1,000 scholarship is open to students attending an Ohio Catholic high school in grades 9-12. Deadline to apply is November 15, 2017.
College Visits. There are several colleges and universities which come to Roger Bacon to meet with students. Below is a list of the schools and the dates they will be visiting. Please make sure to take advantage of these great opportunities. Sign-up sheets are available outside of the Guidance Office.
|October 2||Flex||Transylvania University|
|University of Cincinnati
|October 9||Flex||Christ School of Nursing|
|October 10||Flex||University of Akron|
|October 12||Flex||Ohio University|
|October 16||Flex||University of Findlay|
|October 17||Flex||St. Bonaventure|
University of Cincinnati - College of Engineering
|October 24||Flex||Wittenberg University|
|October 23||Flex||Mt. St. Joseph University|
|October 26||Flex||St. Benedict / St. John's University|
|October 27||Flex||Hanover College|
- National College Fair is being held on Sunday, October 22, 2017 from 1:00 – 4:00 pm at the Duke Energy Convention Center. This event is free and open to the public. Visit www.nacacfairs.org for a list of schools attending and to register.
From the Director of Community Outreach
Freshmen Service Community Day. The break down, by last name, for Freshmen Service Days is as follows:
- October 27, 2017: DiAira Grant through Anna Kowlaski
- November 17, 2017: Grace Kremer through Abigail Schneider
- December 1, 2017: Josiah Schofield through Haoqin Zhang
Monthly RB Community Outreach Opportunities
St. Francis Ministries Soup Kitchen. Interested in serving hungry families, the young, and old? Spartans join other volunteers to feed people in Over-the-Rhine. Service may include serving food, filling drinks, and cleaning dishes. Service is from 4:15 - 5:30 pm on designated Mondays.
Archbishop Leibold Home. Spartans spend time with the elderly socializing and enjoying snacks over a lively game of bingo. New students are apired with experienced Spartans to "learn the ropes" and become comfortable with the environment. Service is from 7:00 - 9:00 pm on designated Mondays.
Bacon Buddies. RB Spartans mentor 3rd - 5th graders from different schools to help them grow in character and faith. This is done with "Conversations that Matter" which focuses on a character value (i.e., trust, respect, gratitude) and enjoyable fun activities. Service is from 3:10 - 4:10 pm on designated Mondays.
Service dates are as follows:
|Soup Kitchen||Archbishop Leibold Home||Bacon Buddies|
|October 16, 2017||October 9, 2017||October 16, 2017|
|November 13, 2017||November 6, 2017||November 13, 2017|
|December 11, 2017||December 4, 2017||December 11, 2017|
|January 22, 2018||January 8, 2018||January 22, 2018|
|February 12, 2018||February 5, 2018||February 12, 2018|
|March 12, 2018||March 5, 2018||March 12, 2018|
|April 16, 2018||April 9, 2018||April 16, 2018|
|May 3, 2018 (Thursday
Senior Citizen Prom)
Drama Guild News:
- We are looking to place your business card, announcement for an upcoming event or shout out to a Cast and Crew member in our program for the fall play. Ads can be full, half and business card or even just a few words! Forms can be found on our website (link below) or contact Catie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org. All ads and money are due by October 31st.
- Tickets are on sale for our fall production of Steel Magnolias. Show dates and prices are as follows:
November 17th and 18th - 7:30 pm
November 19th - 2:00 pm
$10 - Adults
$8 - Senior Citizens/Non-RB Students
FREE - RB Students/Children (10 and under)
Play Schedule for the week of 10/02/17:
**Drama Guild website - https://sites.google.com/site/rbdramaguild/
|Monday||Oct 02||Regular Schedule
College Visit: Transylvania University
Varsity Girls Soccer @ Taylor
National Performing and Visual Arts College Fair
|Tuesday||Oct 03||Regular Schedule
College Visit: University of Cincinnati
College Visit: Marian University
Varsity Boys Soccer @ Carroll
Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Badin (Senior Night)
Varsity Girls Tennis @ Monroe
|Wednesday||Oct 04||Mass Schedule - Feast of St. Francis
Seniors - Off Campus Lunch
Varsity Girls Soccer vs Chaminade Julienne (Senior Night)
|Thursday||Oct 05||Regular Schedule
Assisi Scholars Depart for Italy
|Friday||Oct 06||Regular Schedule
First Friday Mass (8:15 am in FAC)
Varsity Football @ Chaminade Julienne
Varsity Girls Tennis (Sectionals)
|Saturday||Oct 07||Varsity Boys Soccer vs Covington Catholic
Varsity Girls Soccer @ Cincinnati Christian
|Sunday||Oct 08||No Events Scheduled|
October 10: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
October 11 - 13: Kairos
October 18: Board of Trustees Meeting (4:30 pm in ITC)
October 20: End of 1st Quarter
Dress Down Day - March for Life
October 25: Early Dismissal - PSAT Testing
October 27: Freshmen Service Day (1/4 class)
October 28: ACT Testing
October 29: Open House
October 30: No School - Staff Professional Development
November 01: Mass Schedule - All Saints Day
November 02: Band Concert
November 03: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
Dress Down Day - Assist-a-Family
November 04: Evening for Excellence
November 09: Early Dismissal - Veterans' Day Assembly
November 10: No School - Veterans' Day
November 14: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
November 17: Freshmen Service Day (1/4 class)
November 17 - 19: Fall Play - Steel Magnolias
November 22 - 27: No School - Thanksgiving Break
December 01: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
Freshmen Service Day (1/4 class)
December 05: Sacrament of Reconciliation Service
December 07 - 08: Junior Retreat
December 08: No School - Staff Professional Development
December 13: Board of Trustees Meeting (4:30 pm in ITC)
December 14: Alumni Association Meeting (6:30 pm in ITC)
December 16: Christmas Dance
December 18: Christmas Assembly