Click to View the Week of October 16
- Roger Bacon is hosting a Blood Drive on Thursday, October 19th from 8:30 - 11:00 am and 12:30 - 2:30 pm in the Fogarty Center.
Every donor gets a free t-shirt! To schedule an appointment, please see Ms. Ausere. Remember the requirements to donate:
* Bring photo ID
* 110+ pounds
* Eat a good breakfast including fluids
* 17+ years old (16 years old with parental consent)
ONE BLOOD DONATION CAN SAVE 3 LIVES! Thank you for your contribution!
- Attention Juniors - Registrations for the Joy Retreat are now available outside the Spiritual Life Office. Space
is limited - slots will be filled first come, first served. See Ms. Romolo with any questions.
- Magnified Giving. Do you have a passion for helping others? If so, Magnified Giving is the club for you! Roger Bacon students have the opportunity to give over $1,000 to a local nonprofit organization, and you can help decide where the money goes. Learn about philanthropy, gain professional communication skills, and make a difference in our community by joining Magnified Giving. For more information, attend the first meeting during Flex on Friday, October 20th in room 34. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Ochs-Naderer.
- The home soccer matches this week are part of the OHSAA Southwest District Sectionals. All tickets are $6 -- we cannot accept season passes and Roger Bacon students must purchase a ticket to attend.
- Basketball Cheerleading Tryouts. On October 17, 18 and 19, there is a Clinical" (Learn Cheer + Dance) from 4:00 - 6:00 pm in the
multipurpose room at the Fitness Center. Tryouts are Saturday, October 21st from 10:00 am - noon in the multipurpose room.
Everyone must attend the Clinical to be able to tryout! Please wear a plain white shirt and plain black shorts for tryouts on Saturday.
- Bowling. Open floor practices are being held October 16-20; 23-27; and 30th from 3:00 - 5:00 pm at Colerain Bowl (9189 Colerain Ave 45251). Cost is $3.00 per bowler per day. Bowling tryouts will be November 8th and 9th from 3:30 - 5:00 pm at Colerain Bowl. Please email head coach Chris Miller with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calling all parents who know how to build and use tools! The Cast and Crew of Steel Magnolias is in need of some help for the show's set building process
and is looking for expert hands. If you are able to volunteer your time, lend us some tools or donate materials to help us transform the stage into
a 1980's hair salon, please contact the Drama Director, Catie Murray via email at email@example.com.
Testing Day - Wednesday, October 25th
On Wednesday, October 25, we will be administering several tests to our students. Students will dismiss at 12:30 p.m. that day. Here is a general overview of the day.
Freshmen / Sophomores:
Freshmen and sophomores will take the Aspire test. This test is similar to the ACT which you will take as part of your college application process. This test provides students with several benefits:
- Information on specific strengths and areas for improvement in different subjects
- Practice taking a test like the ACT
- A prediction of how students might score on the ACT
In order to prepare for the test, you do not need to study. Get a good night’s sleep the night before, eat breakfast, and come to school with #2 pencils and a calculator. You will not be allowed to use your iPad as a calculator on this test.
Juniors / Assisi Scholars:
Juniors and sophomore Assisi Scholars will have the opportunity to take the PSAT. This test provides students with several benefits:
- Information on specific strengths and areas for improvement in math and English
- Practice taking a college entrance exam (SAT or ACT)
- A prediction of how students might score on the SAT
- A chance earn recognition from the National Merit Scholarship organization
In order to prepare for the test, you should review the student guide and practice test distributed in Flex last week. Get a good night’s sleep the night before the test, eat breakfast, and come to school with #2 pencils and a calculator. You will not be allowed to use your iPad as a calculator on this test.Seniors will not report to school on October 25th and are encouraged to use this day for college visits, senior service project, etc.
After-school study tables will be held in the Information and Technology Center until 2:15 pm. The Fitness Center will be open until 5:00 pm.
March for Life
Applications for the 2018 March for Life trip to Washington D.C. are available in the Spiritual Life Office (Room 21). The trip is from January 18
- 21, 2018.
Picture Retake Day
Picture retakes will be on Tuesday, October 24th during Flex. Students who were absent on picture day or wish to have their
pictures retaken may dress up on Tuesday. The dress code for pictures is as follows:
Ladies - Dress or skirt of appropriate length (same expectations as the school skirt) or dress pants.
- Pictures will only be taken from the waist up - school skirt or pants are permitted.
- No stretch pants, leggings, or tight pants or jeans of any kind.
- Ensure shoulders are covered and your top is not low cut.
Gentlemen - Dress Pants
- Collared shirt with a tie or bow tie - jackets are optional
Students who wish to exchange their purchased pictures should bring their picture packet on retake day. There is a $5 fee for any picture being retaken from the original picture day. Any student photographed for the first time this year does not owe any fees unless they plan to order pictures. Students who were absent and wish to buy pictures should pick up a retake order form from Mrs. Ochs-Naderer in room 34.
Seniors will not have retakes at school. Any senior who has not had a picture taken yet should see Mrs.Ochs-Naderer for further instructions.
Parent/teacher conferences will be held Thursday, November 9th, from 3:00 to 8:00 pm. All parents are encouraged to arrange times to meet with as many of your child’s teachers as possible. Parents may begin scheduling conferences on Wednesday, November 1st. Scheduling can be accomplished on the school website or by calling the main office.
If you schedule online through the website (the preferred method),you will need your SpartanLink Parent ID and student birthdate (i.e. 02-21-2016). Under the “Students and Parents” section, there will be a button entitled “Schedule a Teacher Conference.” Click on this button and follow the instructions. Once your conference has been confirmed, your appointment cannot be changed online -- you will have to call the main office at (513) 641-1300 to make changes.
From the Roger Bacon Cafeteria
Parents/Guardians: Keeping track of your student’s lunch account is easy and convenient. Follow these simple steps below to set up a LOW BALANCE email notification for their account balance. You will need your student’s ID number which can be located on their student ID card or their IPad to set up an account for them. Go to www.myschoolaccount.com to get started and/or to add the email notification to their account if you already have one set up.
Set-up and management is easy! Just follow these steps:
- 1.After logging into your account, on the MySchoolAccount dashboard, click "Manage My Account" at the top right of the page.
- 2.Find the Notification panel at the bottom of the page.
- 3.Check the "Send Low Balance Notification Emails" box.
- Set the desired Minimum Balance for each student tied to your account. When the account balance for a student falls below the minimum balance, the low balance notification email will be sent.
- Make sure the "Enabled" box is checked for each student for whom you would like to receive low balance notifications.
- To ensure that there will be no issue with receiving the emails, click the "Send Test Email" button, and check to see if you have received the test email. If not, check your email spam filters. You may need to allow emails from firstname.lastname@example.org through your spam filter.
- When finished, click "Save Changes".
Questions? Contact me at email@example.com. THANKS!
Evening for Excellence
Please continue selling tickets for the Evening for Excellence Grand Raffle - grand prize is a new JEEP Compass! Tickets cost $50 each or 5 for $200. We will continue to sell tickets until November 4th when we will draw the winner’s name at the Evening for Excellence. Students are selling tickets too. Each student has received two tickets, but may have more. For every two tickets a student sells, his/her name will be entered to win $250. The top student seller will receive $500!
Ticket and money turn in days are Tuesdays and Thursdays in the cafeteria before school from 7:00 – 7:40 am. You may get additional tickets at that time too. Turn-in dates are: October 17, 19, 24, 26, and 31; and November 2nd.
From the Guidance Office
The Knights of Columbus scholarship application is available in the Guidance Office and online. This $1,000 is open to students attending an Ohio Catholic High School in grades 9-12. Deadline to apply is November 15, 2017.
We are off to a great start with several colleges and universities coming to Roger Bacon to meet with our students. Below is a list of the schools and when they will be visiting. Be sure to take advantage of these visits. Sign-up sheets will be available outside of Guidance soon!
|October 16||Flex||University of Findlay|
|October 17||Flex||St Bonaventure|
|October 19||Lunch||Otterbein University|
|October 19||Flex||University of Cincinnati - College of Engineering|
|October 23||Flex||Mt St Joseph University|
|October 24||Flex||Wittenberg University|
|October 26||Flex||St Benedict/St John's University|
|October 27||Flex||Hanover College|
|November 2||Flex||Ball State University|
National College Fair is being held on Sunday, October 22, 2017 from 1:00 – 4:00 pm at the Duke Energy Convention Center. This event is free and open to the public. Click here for a list of schools attending and to register.
Financial Aid Planning Night. Financial Aid Planning Night for seniors and their parents is Tuesday, October 24th from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center. Guest speaker is Erica Henry from The University of Cincinnati Financial Aid Office.
From the Director of Community Outreach
Freshmen Service Community Day. The break down, by last name, for Freshmen Service Days is as follows:
- October 27, 2017: DiAira Grant through Anna Kowlaski
- November 17, 2017: Grace Kremer through Abigail Schneider
- December 1, 2017: Josiah Schofield through Haoqin Zhang
Monthly RB Community Outreach Opportunities
St. Francis Ministries Soup Kitchen. Interested in serving hungry families, the young, and old? Spartans join other volunteers to feed people in Over-the-Rhine. Service may include serving food, filling drinks, and cleaning dishes. Service is from 4:15 - 5:30 pm on designated Mondays.
Archbishop Leibold Home. Spartans spend time with the elderly socializing and enjoying snacks over a lively game of bingo. New students are paired with experienced Spartans to "learn the ropes" and become comfortable with the environment. Service is from 7:00 - 9:00 pm on designated Mondays.
Bacon Buddies. RB Spartans mentor 3rd - 5th graders from different schools to help them grow in character and faith. This is done with "Conversations that Matter" which focuses on a character value (i.e., trust, respect, gratitude) and enjoyable fun activities. Service is from 3:10 - 4:10 pm on designated Mondays.
Service dates are as follows:
|Soup Kitchen||Archbishop Leibold Home||Bacon Buddies|
|October 16, 2017||October 9, 2017||October 16, 2017|
|November 13, 2017||November 6, 2017||November 13, 2017|
|December 11, 2017||December 4, 2017||December 11, 2017|
|January 22, 2018||January 8, 2018||January 22, 2018|
|February 12, 2018||February 5, 2018||February 12, 2018|
|March 12, 2018||March 5, 2018||March 12, 2018|
|April 16, 2018||April 9, 2018||April 16, 2018|
|May 3, 2018 (Thursday
Senior Citizen Prom)
Drama GuildDrama Guild News:
- We are looking to place your business card, announcement for an upcoming event or shout out to a Cast and Crew member in our program for the fall play. Ads can be full, half and business card or even just a few words! Forms can be found on our website (link below) or contact Catie Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org. All ads and money are due by October 31st.
- Tickets are on sale for our fall production of Steel Magnolias. Show dates and prices are as follows:
November 17th and 18th - 7:30 pm
November 19th - 2:00 pm
$10 - Adults
$8 - Senior Citizens/Non-RB Students
FREE - RB Students/Children (10 and under)
Play Schedule for the week of 10/16/17:
Drama Guild website - https://sites.google.com/site/rbdramaguild/
|Monday||Oct 16||Regular Schedule
College Visit: University of Findlay
Service Opportunity: St. Francis Ministries Soup Kitchen
Service Opportunity: Bacon Buddies
|Tuesday||Oct 17||Regular Schedule
College Visit: St. Bonaventure University
Varsity Boys Soccer vs New Richmond (Sectionals)
|Wednesday||Oct 18||Regular Schedule
Board of Trustees Meeting (4:30 pm in ITC)
Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Batavia @ Wyoming HS (Sectionals)
|Thursday||Oct 19||Regular Schedule
College Visit: Otterbein University (Flex)
College Visit: University of Cincinnati - College of Engineering (Lunch)
Varsity Girls Soccer vs Batavia (Sectionals)
|Friday||Oct 20||Regular Schedule
End of 1st Quarter
Dress Down Day - March for Life
Varsity Football @ Fenwick
Nite-in-the Rhine Retreat
|Saturday||Oct 21||Nite-in-the-Rhine Retreat
Varsity Cross Country Sectionals @ TBA
Varsity Girls Volleyball vs Indian Hill @ Wyoming HS (Sectionals)
Varsity Boys Soccer @ Monroe HS (Sectionals)
|Sunday||Oct 22||National College Fair (Duke Energy Convention)|
December 21 - January 02: Christmas Break
January 05: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
January 09: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
January 11: Science Fair
January 12: End of 2nd Quarter
January 15: No School - Martin Luther King Day
January 17: Celebration of Success (Fine Arts Center)
January 17 - 19: Kairos
January 18 - 21: March for Life (Washington D.C.)
January 19: No School - Staff Professional Development
January 24: Freshmen Registration Begins
January 28 - February 03: Catholic Schools Week
January 31: Mass Schedule - Catholic Schools Week
February 02: First Friday Mass (8:15 am in Fine Arts Center)
February 08: Talent Show (Fine Arts Center)
Alumni Association Meeting (6:30 pm in ITC)
February 13: PTA Meeting (7:00 pm in cafeteria)
February 14: Mass Schedule - Ash Wednesday
February 15: Early Dismissal - Parent/Teacher Conferences
February 16: No School - Staff Professional Development
February 19: No School - Presidents' Day
February 21: Board of Trustees Meeting (4:30 pm in ITC)
February 24: St. Vincent de Paul Resource Fair (Fine Arts Center)
February 28: Assembly Schedule - Talent Show (Fine Arts Center)